MDM is the process of enhancing corporate data security by monitoring, managing and securing mobile devices such as laptops, smartphones and tablets. MDM solutions allow IT teams and admins to control and distribute security policies to mobile devices accessing sensitive corporate data in their organizations, making sure that the corporate network is secure.
To simplify the management of mobile devices, many businesses use a third-party mobile device management software to manage mobile devices.
The main functions of MDM are:
- Making sure that each device is configured according to the organization’s policies and standards.
- Updating the devices, software, and applications centrally and in a scalable manner.
- Ensuring that employees use applications as per the organization's usage policy.
- Monitoring, tracking, and ensuring that devices perform accurately and consistently.
- Remotely diagnosing, troubleshooting, and securing devices.
- Over-the-air (OTA) distribution
- Device location tracking
Why do you need MDM?
While mobile devices are convenient for work, they also come with their own set of problems, such as unauthorized data access and data leakage. If any crucial business data gets into the hands of hackers, there can be serious repercussions. With a lot of confidential business data exposed to risk, a high level of security is necessary to prevent a worst-case scenario. If you want the ease of mobile access to work without compromising security, you need a professional MDM software set up.
What is an alternative to MDM?
If you are unable to implement an MDM, all personal devices remain restricted to a guest network. VPN connections used by personal devices should also be similarly limited in what they can access. Cycrest can help you with setting up separate Guest networks for personal use and restricting access to devices that pose a potential threat to your network.
Does your organization need support for MDM? Let’s talk.